• This is perhaps the best explanation of ABCT and the Great Depression: America’s Great Depression by Murray Rothbard. You can read it for free at mises.org. There’s also the much shorter and informal Economic Crashes: Their Cause and Cure by Rothbard, also at mises.org.
• Here is a perfect application of ABCT to the 2008 Crash, including a debunking of the mainstream Keynesian criticisms of ABCT: A Reformulation of Austrian Business Cycle Theory in Light of the Financial Crisis, by Joe Salerno.
• Check this out for on-point descriptions of ABCT applied to the 2008 Crash: Testimony before the U.S. House Committee on Financial Services: Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology Subcommittee, specifically the testimony of Austrian economists Jeffrey Herbener and Peter Klein. Yes, Congress was warned. They did not listen. You can find this at financialservices.house.gov.
• Solution? Look here, it’s as easy to read as it is common-sense practical: End the Fed, by Ron Paul.
• Another easy-to-read overview: Meltdown: A Free-Market Look at Why the Stock Market Collapsed, the Economy Tanked, and Government Bailouts Will Make Things Worse, by Thomas E. Woods, Jr.
• This is also brilliant, no-nonsense, and easy-to-understand: The Fed Flunks, by Robert Wenzel. Wenzel called the 2008 Crash in real-time and was later invited to the New York Fed to explain the Crash (seriously). Sadly, the New York Fed clearly decided to ignore Wenzel’s advice. This book also provides an easy way to calculate the money supply.
• Check out Peter Schiff‘s youtube illustration of Fed Chairwoman Janet Yellen’s failure to see the 2008 Crash, Janet Yellen Exposed – The Truth Behind the Myth, Parts 1 and 2: “From the beginning my money was on Yellen (to be nominated as Fed Chairwoman)… and the reason I was so confident that the president would choose Yellen was because I believed that of all the candidates in serious consideration, Yellen was by far the worst choice… And I was very confident that President Obama would make the worst choice…”
• There’s also the famous “Peter Schiff Was Right” clip depicting Schiff (using ABCT) warning years ahead about the coming 2008 Crash. Schiff was of course savaged by the mainstream media. This is must see.
• And then there’s the Fear the Boom and Bust rap video, an entertainingly succinct way to learn ABCT:
Next: The story of Iris Mack, Larry Summers and risky derivatives gambling…